November 16, 2009

PARIS PHOTO 2009 NOVEMBER 19 - 22, 2009

PARIS PHOTO 2009

89 galleries and 13 publishers from 23 countries I 31 first-time exhibitors I 7 new countries will be represented (Iran, Lebanon, Morocco, Portugal, Russia, Tunisia , UAE) I 75% of the participants are non French I 38,000 visitors expected I 500 international photographers

SELECTION COMMITTEE

Guido Costa, Turin I Howard Greenberg, New York I Edwynn Houk, New York I Tim Jefferies, Hamiltons, London I Priska Pasquer, Cologne I Françoise Paviot, Paris I Timothy Persons, Taik Gallery, Helsinki I Renos Xippas, Paris/Athens

PARTICIPATING GALLERIES AND PUBLISHERS

798 Photo Gallery I Antiquariaat L. van Paddenburgh I Aperture I Assar Art Gallery I B21 Gallery I Base Gallery I baudoin lebon I Bernard Quaritch I Bernheimer Fine Art Photography I Bonni Benrubi Gallery I bookshop M I Brancolini Grimaldi I Bruce Silverstein Gallery I Camera Obscura I Caprice Horn I Cokkie Snoei I Daniel Blau Photography I Denis Ozanne I DNA I Dominique Fiat I Edwynn Houk I Eric Franck Fine Art I Esther Woerdehoff I Fifty One Fine Art Photography I Filigranes Editions I Flatland I FOIL GALLERY I Forma Galleria I Françoise Paviot I G/P I Galeria Fúcares I Galeria Toni Tàpies I Galerie 127 I Galerie Anhavagalerie du jour agnès b. I Galerie El Marsa I Galerie m Bochum I galerie michèle chomette I Galerie RX I Galerie van Kranendonk I Galleri Bo Bjerggaard I Goodman Gallery I Guido Costa Projects I Hamiltons I Hans P. Kraus, Jr., Inc. I Harper's Books I Hatje Cantz I Howard Greenberg I Johannes FaberJuana de Aizpuru I Keumsan Gallery I Kuckei + Kuckei I Kudlek van der Grinten I La B.A.N.K I La Fábrica Galería I Laurence Miller I Le RéverbèreLes filles du calvaire I Librairie 213 I Lumière des Roses I Magnum Gallery I Martin Asbæk Gallery I Max Estrella I MEM I Michael Hoppen Gallery I Michael Stevenson I Motive Gallery I Nusser & Baumgart I Obsis I Patricia Dorfmann I Pente 10 I Phaidon Press Limited I Pobeda Gallery I Polaris I Priska Pasquer I Purdy Hicks I Robert Hershkowitz Ltd I Robert Klein Gallery I Robert Koch Gallery I Robert Mann I Robert Morat I Schaden.com I Selma Feriani Gallery I Serge Plantureux I Sfeir-Semler I Silk Road I Steidl I TaiK I Tanit I TARO NASU I The Empty Quarter Gallery I The Photographers' Gallery I Thessa Herold I Tissato Nakahara I Toluca I TORCH Gallery I Van Zoetendaal I Vintage Gallery I Vu' la Galerie I Woodfinch Rare Books I Xippas I Yancey Richardson

Arab and Iranian Photography
In 2009, Paris Photo turns the spotlight on photographic work from the Arab countries and Iran in what is an unprecedented exploration of the practice in this part of the world. While photography arrived in the region in the 19th Century, it is at the turn of the present century that it became the preferred mode of expression on what is today a rich, diverse and autonomous contemporary art scene.

The project is curated by Catherine David who was responsible for Documenta X in Kassel in 1997 as well as numerous exhibitions and publications on Middle Eastern artistic expression.

CONFERENCE

6:30pm - 8pm
Thursday, November 19, 2009

”Spotlight on the Arab and Iranian scene “ round-table discussion, as part of the IMA’s “Jeudi de l’IMA” conference programme. Catherine David, guest curator for Paris Photo 2009, will lead a discussion with invited artists from the Middle East on the major characteristics of the contemporary Arab and Iranian scene.

Invited guests are: Yasser Alwan (photographer, Cairo), Yto Barrada (photographer, Tangier), Bahman Jalali (photographer, Iran), Walid Raad (Lebanese artist, teacher at Cooper Union NY, member of the Arab Image Foundation in Beirut), Maria Golia, author of Cairo, City of Sand (2004) and Photography and Egypt (to be published on January 2010).

Institut du Monde Arabe, 1 rue des Fossés Saint-Bernard, Place Mohamed V – 75005 Paris

12 noon - 1pm
Friday, November 20, 2009

Mirjam Brusius (University of Cambridge, The British Library): Persia, Photography and Prestige. Nasser Al-Din Shah (r. 1848-1896) and the early advancement of a new medium in the Middle East.

Why did photography arrive in Iran only a few years after it was invented? How did photography prove useful to the Shah and how did it help him to gain internal and international prestige? Why did many Europeans come to Persia in the 19th century to take photographs? The talk will explore some of the earliest examples of Iranian photography from the Golestan Palace, Tehran.

Project Room

6 pm - 7 pm
Friday, November 20, 2009

Image Foundation: Presentation of the Arab Image Foundation's limited edition portfolio no.1 in the presence of Martin Parr and the members of the AIF.

Central Exhibition Space

4pm - 6pm
Saturday, November 21, 2009

Talk with photographer Roger Ballen

Project Room

4pm - 5:30pm
Sunday, November 22, 2009

Bamako Encounters 2009: Presentation of the 8th African Photography Biennal by Art Directors Michket Krifa and Laura SErani as well as Sophie Renaud, Director of the Department for artistic exchange and cooperation of Culturesfrance.

Project Room

Paris Photo was created in 1997 by Rik Gadella, a Dutch publisher and soon became the world’s first photography fair. In 2002, Paris Photo was taken over by Reed Expositions France which owns and organises the event.

Since 2001, Paris Photo highlights a specific foreign scene:

2009: Arab and Iranian Photography I Catherine David, curator
2008: Japan I Mariko Takeuchi, curator

2007: Italy I Walter Guadagnini, curator

2006: The Nordic Countries I Andrea Holzer, curator

2005: Spain I Rosa Olivares, curator
2004: Switzerland I Nicolas Trembley, curator

2003: Mexico I Olivier Debroise, curator

2002: The Netherlands

2001: Germany

2000: Corporate Collections

1999: Fashion and Photography

IMAGES

Holly Andres
The Red Purse, 2008 from the series: Sparrow Lane. Robert Mann Gallery, New York

Reza Aramesh
Action 51: Kerem Shalom, Israel - February 17, 2008. Palestinian prisoners sit blindfolded on the ground after they were captured by Israeli soldiers. B21 Gallery, Dubai

Jessica Backhaus
What Still Remains "Marlon Brando", circa 2006. Robert Morat Galerie, Hamburg

http://www.parisphoto.fr/